Solar Energy is easy, affordable, and available!
With the Member Solar Project, you can lease a solar panel to the year 2035.
- without installing any equipment
- without worrying about ongoing maintenance, repairs and insurance
The Co-op constructed a 39.8 kW array with (96) 410-watt panels. The output from these panels is available for lease by Meeker Co-op members who wish to do so.
Each panel has produced on average 471 kWh’s per year or 39.28 kWh’s per month based on production from 2016 – 2021. The total solar array output has averaged 45,248 kWh’s annually during the same time period. Production varies from month to month and year to year. Generally, solar panels produce more energy in the summer and less in the winter, due to the hours of sunlight. The goal is to have this project financed by members who wish to participate in this solar array and not by the general membership.
See the Current Array Output
What is Member Solar?
Member solar refers to an array that is built in one place to generate electricity from the sun, but the participants who share in the array’s production (kWh output) may live in different places, even far away from the physical location of the array. The participants may not be directly responsible for the care and maintenance of the solar garden, although they share in the benefit of what is produced.
How will the Co-op’s Member Solar Project work?
Meeker Cooperative has constructed the solar array at the site of the Litchfield Substation just northwest of the Co-op at the intersection of Hwy. 34 and Hwy. 24 near Litchfield. Meeker Cooperative owns, insures, and maintains the array.
Co-op members may subscribe to lease the kWh output of one or more panels. That entitles the member to all of the kilowatt-hours (kWh) generated by their share of the array up to the year 2035. Each month you receive a credit on your bill for the kWh’s generated for the billing period. The average monthly credit is $4.64 per panel leased.
Benefits for the member:
- Avoids the hassles of constructing, owning, insuring, and maintaining an array personally
- Less costly for members than having an array on their own property
- Participation with other Co-op members in a solar project
- Know a portion of their electricity is generated locally, from a renewable source of energy
- Alternative for members who cannot have an array in their own yard due to site issues or cost
- Long-term investment opportunity and hedge against rising electric rates in the future
- Renters can purchase solar with this program
- Lease solar from trusted local energy experts
- Members may purchase a lease as a gift or legacy for member children or grandchildren
Benefits for Meeker Cooperative:
- No cost-shifting to members who do not participate. (Participants pay 100% of the project costs)
- Opportunity to offer solar-generated kWh to members.
- Allows employees to become educated on how solar works
How can a Member get involved if they wish?
Meeker Cooperative is excited for our members to be able to take part in this solar project if they choose to. Therefore, we have made it as simple and beneficial as we can by offering our members three 20-year leasing options:
- Option #1:
- Member pays $105.73 up front (As of December 2023)
- Member pays 15 cents/kWh produced
- Option #2:
- Member pays $800.52 up front (As of December 2023)
- Any kWh’s produced are credited to the member’s account at the Co-op’s current applicable rate
- Option #3:
- Member pays $589.06 up front (As of December 2023)
- Member receives a free 50-gallon super-efficient water heater w/mixing valve, or $500 credit toward a larger-capacity unit and enrolls on the Co-op’s Peak Shave Water Heating Program
- Member forfeits the $4 monthly Peak Shave bill credit
- Any kWh’s produced by the solar panel(s) are credited to the member’s account at the Co-op’s current applicable rate
For additional information, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below, or contact an Energy Services Representative at 320-693-3231 and we will be happy to answer any question you have.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN CONNECTING YOUR OWN RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEM TO THE GRIDMeeker Cooperative is obligated by Minnesota Rule’s pts. 7835 to interconnect with and purchase electricity from any qualified cogenerators and/or small power producers. We also are required to provide information free of charge to any and all members who may be interested in entering into an interconnection agreement with the Co-op.
In compliance with Minnesota adopted rules relating to cogeneration and small power production, all interconnections require an application and approval to become a qualifying facility. Click here for more information.